Packing Tips from a Holiday Veteran
I am not ready to confess publicly how many Christmases I have seen in my lifetime … but I have spent 27 of them in the shipping industry, seven of which at The UPS Store. There are a bunch of stories to tell—some that would make you cry and many more that would make you laugh!
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at The UPS Store in the Halls Community of Knoxville, Tenn.—customers are filing in and packages are piling up. We recently started a morning tackling a scooter, which after some tape measure calculations, we recommended that the owner remove the front and back tires to reduce the dimensions of the package. We saved her at least $100 in shipping costs!
Later that day, I stopped on my way home from work and picked up two large items from my friend, Carole, who is a photographer. Her task was to get large family photos to an out-of-state customer quickly, affordably and in time for the holidays. We have the perfect picture frame box (44 x 36 x 5) for this job. The next morning, the items were wrapped and packed and sent UPS Ground, which gets to her Ohio destination in two days. Wow, we are off and running and all before a cup of coffee!
With 27 years in the business, I have a lot of knowledge to share. Here are top tips for packing up gifts to help get them to their destination intact and under the tree in time for Christmas morning.
- Begin with the proper materials, including: a new cardboard box designed for shipping, professional-grade packaging tape and packaging material like foam packaging peanuts or bubble cushioning (at least two inches all around).
- Include a label on the inside of the package with the destination and return addresses.
- Use a shipping option, like UPS, which provides a package-tracking number.
- Take batteries out of toys, electronics, etc., before shipping and wrap separately to avoid contact with metal.
- Seal home-made holiday treats in an interior airtight container or plastic bag before packing them. Use an expedited air service, such as UPS Next Day Air®.
- Ship wrapped gifts and luggage ahead to your destination, especially if traveling by air.
- Ship as late as Dec. 23 for delivery on Christmas Eve.
As you may have heard, “We ♥ Logistics,” especially holiday logistics. Let us help so you can enjoy what the season is truly about.
From all of us at The UPS Store, we hope you have a wonderful holiday season with your family and friends!
|Category:||Helpful Tips and Ideas, Logistics|
|Tags:||Christmas, holiday, logistics, packaging, The UPS Store franchise, tips|