Last month, we introduced an innovative service called UPS My ChoiceSM. For online shoppers, it offers a new level of control and flexibility for shipments delivered to residential addresses, such as the option to reschedule a delivery when you’re not home or redirect a delivery to another address or your local The UPS Store.
As with most new offerings, we’ve had questions pop up from customers about using UPS My Choice. Here are the top questions along with our answers and advice for using the service. We even included a video at the end of this post.
- Why am I receiving a Registration Error 1013?
- How can I electronically release packages?
- Why are some features not available on certain packages?
- Will selecting Deliver to a UPS Retail Location or Deliver to Another Address affect the delivery date?
- How can I provide delivery instructions to my driver?
I am trying to register but get “Registration error 1013.” What does this mean?
Did you recently move to a new address? Or change your name?
If so, this could trigger the error message. Why?
During the registration process, your name and address are verified by matching it to public information. If you’ve moved or changed your name, there may not be enough public information available to match. The reason for this verification step is security. Because UPS My Choice lets you change the delivery address before a delivery attempt is made, it’s important to make sure “you are who you say you are” instead of someone posing as you (think identify theft). If you have recently moved or changed your name, you will need to wait a few weeks before you can register so that public information can be established between you and your address. UPS does not store the information used for verification nor do we use it for any purpose other than to verify your information.
What if you haven’t changed your address or name and still get the message? Our advice is to enter your name as it appears in public records.
How do I electronically release packages?
There are two options to request that the UPS driver release a package without your signature.
If the shipper requires a signature, you have the ability to authorize the release of a package on a per package basis. We do this to ensure that only those packages you feel comfortable releasing are left.
- Track your package from the Tracking Detail page or if a Premium Member, the UPS My Choice Delivery Planner
- Select “Provide Delivery Instructions” on the Tracking Detail page or select “Add” under the “Provide Delivery Instructions” Column on the Delivery Planner
- Request an “Authorize Shipment Release” for your package
If you live in an area where the UPS driver doesn’t leave packages without a signature, you can place a standing order for the driver to release all packages. To select this option in your preferences section
- Log on to ups.com and select “Access UPS My Choice” under the Tracking tab
- Select the “Preferences” link
- Select the “Authorize Shipment Release” option on the Preferences Page
- Select “Save Changes”
Keep in mind that if a shipper does send you a signature required package, the standing order does not apply in this situation and you must log in and select the authorize shipment release feature.
Why are certain “Change Delivery” options not available for some packages?
Here at UPS, our goal is to provide excellent service to both our shippers and our receivers. Some of our shippers have certain business needs and they have asked us to turn off select features on their packages.
Factors that may affect the delivery options offered by a shipper are such things as high-value items, prescriptions, or perishable packages. While this is the exception, it will happen from time to time. However, as a UPS My Choice member, you will still receive your Delivery Alerts informing you that a shipment is on its way. You will also have access to many of the other UPS My Choice features that will enable you to receive packages in a way that best fits your schedule.
Will selecting “Deliver to a UPS Retail Location” or “Deliver to Another Address” affect the delivery date?
To avoid a potential delivery delay, we recommend the following:
- Make the delivery change request as early as possible
- Choose a destination that is close to the original delivery address
- There may be occasions when delivery delays are unavoidable, such as if the new address or The UPS Store location that you select is located a significant distance from the original delivery address.
I want my package left in a specific location. How do I inform my driver?
UPS My Choice Premium Members have the option to specify exactly where they want the package left. For example, you can have your package left at the shed or the back door. Ultimately, it is left to the driver’s discretion and if he believes the package is unsafe, whether it’s a safety threat or due to the weather elements, he may choose to attempt redelivery of the package the following day.
Looking for more guidance? Our video offers more tips for using UPS My Choice and selecting options to manage your shipments.
|Category:||Helpful Tips and Ideas|
|Tags:||delivery, home delivery, My Choice, The UPS Store franchise, tracking, UPS My Choice|